I am a social and cognitive psychologist who does research on interpersonal communication in both face-to-face and computer-mediated settings. My goals are to increase our theoretical understanding of the mechanisms involved in conversation and to apply this understanding to the development of new computer-mediated communications technologies.
I do research in a number of interrelated areas of interpersonal communication. My earlier research examined perspective-taking in face-to-face communication. Current projects focus on the effects of culture on communication, using online communities to promote environmentally conscientious behavior, the role of visualizations in collaborative data analysis, and human-robot communication.
- Communication, Language
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Group Processes
- Internet and Virtual Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Nonverbal Behavior
- Organizational Behavior
- Person Perception
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Social Cognition
- Fussell, S. R. (Ed.). (2002). The verbal communication of emotion: Interdisciplinary perspectives. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Fussell, S. R., & Kreuz, R. J. (Eds.). (1998). Social and cognitive approaches to interpersonal communication. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Fussell, S. R., & Krauss, R. M. (1992). Coordination of knowledge in communication: Effects of speakers' assumptions about what others know. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 62, 378-391.
- Fussell, S. R., & Krauss, R. M. (1991). Accuracy and bias in estimates of others' knowledge. European Journal of Social Psychology, 21, 445-454.
- Fussell, S. R., Setlock, L. D., Yang, J., Ou, J., Mauer, E. M., & Kramer, A. (2004). Gestures over video streams to support remote collaboration on physical tasks. Human-Computer Interaction, 19, 273-309.
- Gergle, D., Kraut, R. E., & Fussell, S. R. (2004). Language efficiency and visual technology: Minimizing collaborative effort with visual information. Journal of Language and Social Psychology, 23, 491-517.
- Kraut, R. E., Fussell, S. R., & Siegel, J. (2003). Visual information as a conversational resource in collaborative physical tasks. Human Computer Interaction, 18, 13-49.
- Stewart, C. O., Setlock, L. D., & Fussell, S. R. (2007). Conversational argumentation in decision-making: Differences across cultures and communication media. Discourse Processes, 44, 113-139.
- Balakrishnan, A., Kiesler, S., & Fussell, S. R. (2008). Do visualizations improve synchronous remote collaboration? Proceedings of CHI 2008 (pp. 1227-1236). NY: ACM Press.
- Fussell, S. R., Kiesler, S., Setlock, L. D., & Yew, V. (2008). How people anthropomorphize robots. Proceedings of Human-Robot Interaction 2008 (pp. 145-152). NY: ACM Press.
- Fussell, S. R., Kraut, R. E., & Siegel, J. (2000). Coordination of communication: Effects of shared visual context on collaborative work. Proceedings of CSCW 2000 (pp. 21-30). NY: ACM Press.
- Krauss, R. M., & Fussell, S. R. (1996). Social psychological approaches to the study of communication. In E. T. Higgins & A. Kruglanski (Eds.), Social psychology: Handbook of basic principles. New York: Guilford Press.
- Krauss, R. M., & Fussell, S. R. (1990). Mutual knowledge and communicative effectiveness. In J. Galegher, R. E. Kraut, & C. Egido (Eds.), Intellectual teamwork: Social and technological foundations of cooperative work. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Kraut, R. E., Fussell, S. R., Brennan, S., & Siegel, J. (2002). A framework for understanding effects of proximity on collaboration: Implications for technologies to support remote collaborative work. In P. Hinds & S. Kiesler (Eds.), Technology and Distributed Work.
- Torrey, C. T., Fussell, S. R., & Kiesler, S. (2007). What robots could teach us about perspective-taking. In E. Morsella (Ed.), Expressing oneself/expressing one's self. A festschrift in honor of Robert M. Krauss. Taylor and Francis.
Susan R. Fussell
Department of Communication
332 Kennedy Hall
Ithaca, New York 14853
- Phone: (607) 255-1581
- Email: email@example.com